Especially on Mondays, when you feel the weekend is so far away, it's good to set the emotional balance with a nice breakfast. I normally go to sleep when the birds wake up, but if you start your day early, no worries, you don't have to miss this gorgeous breakfast either, just prepare the batter of the American Pancake the previous evening and keep it in the fridge overnight.
Nowadays I love experimenting with spicy desserts so one of the fillings will be a little bit piquant. These treats are not about having food unedible and too hot, these spices, but they will lead you to a totally new dimension of tastes.
- 200 g flour
- 150 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 400 g fresh strawberries
- 150-200 g preserving sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Leteper sauce from Sárréti Chilifarm
- Icing sugar
- Fresh strawberries
- Mix the flour, milk, 2 eggs, melted butter, maple syrup, icing sugar and baking powder.
- Rest the mixture in the fridge for minimum of 2 hours or overnight. In the meantime let's prepare the strawberry jam for example.
- Before preparing the pancakes, whip the egg white and incorporate in the chilled mixture.
- Add a few drops of oil to your frying pan, heat it up then to make a small pancake add one portion of pancake batter by a tablespoon and spread the mixture a little bit by the back of the spoon.
- Fry it for about half a minute on each side.
- Pile the pancakes up till serving.
- Put the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and Leteper sauce into a pot and turn on the heat on medium.
- Use a potato masher to squash the strawberries a little bit, but still leave small pieces in the jam.
- Cook it till the sugar melts completely and the liquid reduces to half.
- Stack the pancakes and cover each layer with different fillings: one strawberry and one Nutella layer, and repeat this till you have a nice stack of pancakes.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on the top and decorate with fresh strawberries.