Savoury Curd Cheese Scones with cheese on the top are so popular snacks in Hungary, we call them 'pogácsa'. If you go to a party, a wedding or a family occasion, 9 out of 10 times you will find some scones on the table. If you are not too lucky, you will try a dry, industrial version.
Fortunately, we have a nice recipe in our family recipe book, with curd cheese in the pastry. It does not just make the scones tasty, but won't let them become dry and stone hard. If you serve these to your guests, they will absolutely love it!
- 500 g curd cheese
- 500 g flour
- 250 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Grated cheese
- Mix the ingredients -except the egg for egg wash and the grated cheese- by hand till you get a well-combined pastry.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and place it into the fridge for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle your silicon rolling mat with flour and roll the pastry to 3 cm thick.
- Use a small round cookie cutter to create small scones and place them on a lined baking tray.
- Brush the top of the pastry with an egg wash and place a small amount of cheese on each. Instead of cheese, you can use sesame seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds or anything you like.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 180 °C, till the cheese will melt and gets a golden brown colour.