In Hungary, we normally deep-fry french toast, but I've tried the original method when you cook the toast on some butter in a pan, which gives you a more enjoyable result, so I'll never deep fry it again. To elevate this toast to a whole new level, let's create a ham and cheese sandwich, soak into the egg and finish it as you would finish a French toast: this is the Monte Cristo Sandwich!
- 2 thick slices of toast bread
- 1 egg
- 20 ml cream
- 2 slice ham
- 100 g grated cheese
- 25 g butter
- Heap some of the grated cheese on a slice of bread, add 2 slices of ham, more cheese and close the sandwich with another slice of bread.
- Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Beat the egg and incorporate the cream.
- Soak the sandwich in the egg on both sides, place the sandwich into the pan and cook it for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Slice it in half and serve it hot.
Try to spread some mayo or mustard bechamel on the sandwich and you will get a result very close to the experience of a Croque Monsieur sandwich!