It was so difficult to wait for the right moment before I show you this recipe. I think October is the best month to introduce a new street food recipe: I call this one the Orange Is The New Black Burger. The conception is simple: mostly orange and black elements ruling this impressive stack.
Halloween is on the corner and one of my favourite TV shows -guess what-, Orange Is The New Black ended this year... these together started a creative flow a few months ago, till I've worked out what will be the final form and taste of this beast. If something fits by colour, it doesn't always mean there always will be a delicious result. But it's finally here and I can tell you... it's super yummy! But as always... feel free to add any orange and black elements you think fit to the taste of the original components.
Black burger buns
- 250 g flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 large pinch salt
- 25 g butter – melted
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 125 ml milk
- 4 tsp squid ink OR 8 g culinary charcoal powder
- 1 egg – beaten, for egg wash
- Black sesame seeds
- 500 g minced beef, 20% fat
- Salt, pepper
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- Orange bell pepper
- Sweet potato fries
- Purple salad
- Chipotle mayonnaise
- Red Leicester cheese, sliced
- Poached egg
- Black pepper
Black burger buns
- Click here for the method.
- If you use squid ink, add it to the wet ingredients, if you use charcoal powder, add it to the dry ingredients during the preparation.
- Mix the meat with the spices.
- Form 4 patties from this amount. Push your finger into the middle of the patties: it will help to fry them evenly, in the middle too.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to a frying pan, when the oil is hot sear the patties at high temperature for about 5 minutes on each side
- Place a slice of cheese on each in the last minute of frying, since it will help to melt it a little bit.
- Place the patties on a warm plate, cover with tin foil and rest them for at least 6-8 minutes.
- Slice a black burger bun in half. Place the bottom half on a plate.
- Place a slice of bell pepper on the bun.
- Add the sweet potato fries and a spoonful of the chipotle mayo.
- Place some purple salad leaves on the fries then add the patty with the melted cheese.
- Place the poached egg on the top, as a crown, season it with freshly ground black pepper, then add the top of the bun.
- And now... just have a look at this picture. I've captured how the egg yolk is oozing out.