This Vegan Beetroot Brownie recipe was my plan to share for a while and it was a great opportunity to do it for a special occasion as well. My blogger friend, Nicolas from Blogtastic Food invited his blogger friends to a collaboration. He turned his everyday cooking to vegan, this is how it happened that the topic is the best vegan desserts this time. I submit my vegan beet brownie recipe. If you need more inspiration about plant-based recipes, you can check Nicolas' vegan lemon meringue pie recipe here.
I love this brownie recipe because, in my opinion, it's so smart to use veggies or fruits in cake batters. Just think about Carrot cake or Hummingbird cake, the crust never dries out, and it makes these desserts super awesome. If you change the flour to a gluten-free one for cakes and use a healthier form of sugar, your dessert will be completely free-from. The icing contains beetroot powder which is not just a great form of this beautiful veg, but a naturally pink food colouring as well.
- 160 g flour or gluten-free flour for cakes
- 70 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 smaller beetroot, cooked and finely chopped in food processor
- 350 g maple syrup
- 125 ml water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 300 g icing sugar
- 100 ml water
- 2 tbsp beetroot powder
- Mix the brownie ingredients in a mixing bowl, use your hand mixer.
- Pour the batter into a lined baking tray or cake tin.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven, at 180 °C, for about 35 minutes or till it passes the 'toothpick test'.
- Let it cool down before slicing and decorating with the glaze.
- For the pink icing just simply mix the ingredients in a bowl, fill in a piping bag and decorate the brownies. you can sprinkle some pure beetroot powder on the top too.
Check the other vegan dessert recipes from this collaboration:
- Coconut-lime vegan tart
- Vegan shortbread cookies with dark chocolate drizzle
- Vegan ginger coconut pean cake
- No-bake vegan chocolate salami
- Vegan banoffee pies
- Vegan blackberry pie with walnut cardamom crumble
- Vegan biscoff triffin
- Vegan chocolate caramel tart
- Vegan berry-Brie strudel
- Vegan lemon-coconut frangipane tart